The Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration was founded in 1956 by 11 families as a mission in north Dallas. The church quickly grew, and in 1964 relocated to higher ground after a flood badly damaged the original A-frame church building. Now located at the corner of Hillcrest and Spring Valley roads, we are comprised of nearly 1,800 members oriented around the singular mission of “seeking and serving Christ in all persons.” Over our 60-year history, we’ve grown and changed in pursuit of that mission, with four rectors, over a dozen other clergy, hundreds of faithful leaders, thousands of faithful members, the launch of Parish Episcopal School, the expansion of our campus, and the dedicated pursuit of living into the loving, merciful vision of Jesus Christ.
Transfiguration is a constituent member of the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas, which is comprised of over 70 churches and schools around northeast Texas. The Diocese of Dallas is a member of The Episcopal Church, which is comprised of around two million members in 110 dioceses and 10 different countries. The Episcopal Church is a part of the global Anglican Communion, which is comprised of roughly 85 million members in 38 autonomous churches (e.g. Anglican Church of Canada, Anglican Church of Australia, Anglican Church of the West Indies) that maintain a relationship with the Church of England. This expanding circle of relationship is a source of strength and unity, and helps us remain deeply connected with faithful Christians around our city, country, and world.
We are celebrating 60 Years. Check out The History of Transfiguration.