Director of Children’s Ministries
Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration seeks a creative and caring disciple of Jesus Christ to serve as full-time Director of Children’s Ministries (DCM). The DCM will encourage and support the Christian formation of children, from birth through fifth grade, and equip parents/guardians to foster the spiritual growth of their children. The role requires a genuine love for children, and a passion for developing in each child an inquiring and discerning heart, the courage to will and persevere, a spirit to know and love the Lord, and the gift of joy and wonder in all God’s works (The Book of Common Prayer, 308).
Transfiguration is a dynamic, growing, and inclusive church of 1,300 members located in north Dallas. We celebrate God through reverent worship, compassionate service, formative education, and sacrificial stewardship. Our children’s ministry is a model in the Episcopal Church, with over 75 kids enrolled in Sunday formation, a thriving tradition of Vacation Bible School each summer, and numerous programs outside of Sunday morning that enrich the faith of children. We are best known for our embrace of Godly Play as both a program and philosophy, so we have a strong preference for candidates with experience leading Godly Play.
The DCM serves in a formation team, led by the Associate Rector for Formation, supported by a part-time ministry assistant, and alongside the full-time Director of Youth Ministries. The DCM also collaborates with other staff, particularly the Rector and Director of Communications.
The Director of Children’s Ministries will:
- Plan and coordinate a full range of Sunday-based religious education opportunities for children from birth through fifth grade.
- Evaluate, select, and prepare Christian education curricula (we currently offer four concurrent curriculum choices for children: Wee Wonder, Godly Play, Holy Moly, and Connect)
- Recruit, train and equip teachers and other volunteers to ensure their readiness for all classes and events
- Partner with clergy to prepare age-appropriate children for First Informed Communion (typically second grade)
- Coordinate weekly Children’s Chapel during the 9:00 a.m. service (with support of clergy and nursery staff)
- Direct the nursery ministry for children aged 6 weeks to 3 years old, including the hiring, training, and management of nursery workers (for Sunday mornings and other church-wide events)
- Select and produce weekly children’s bulletins
- Ensure all volunteers are certified in “Safeguarding God’s Children,” and all of the requirements are carefully observed
- Coordinate religious enrichment activities and family services for special seasons and holy days (e.g. Advent Festival, Christmas worship and pageant for children, Lenten Programs, Holy Week for Children, Easter celebrations)
- Plan and coordinate Vacation Bible School for approximately 75 children, held each summer, including recruitment and preparation of dozens of adult and youth volunteers
- Plan and coordinate monthly opportunities for children to engage in hands-on outreach ministry, working occasionally with other staff and the Outreach Committee
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to ensure effective communication regarding children’s events, programs, goals, and successes
- Create and maintain a budget for children’s ministries, including related restricted accounts, in consultation with Associate Rector for Formation
- Assist clergy in providing pastoral support to families with children (e.g. cards, phone calls, emails)
- Attend weekly staff and formation team meetings
- Participate in semi-annual strategic planning sessions with Transfiguration staff
We are seeking candidates who:
- Possess an abiding Christian faith and a passion for helping children grow as disciples of Jesus
- Are skilled at recruiting, coordinating, and empowering volunteers
- Are known by others to be servant leaders and hopeful problem-solvers
- Are well-organized, including short and long-term planning, and possess skills to thrive in a busy environment with multiple simultaneous projects
- Enjoy collaborating with a large ministry team
- Are proficient with basic Office software (e.g. Word, Excel), social media, and email
- Have previous experience leading children’s formation, with special preference for candidates who are knowledgeable about curricula
- Are familiar with the beliefs and customs of the Episcopal Church
- Are ready to serve, and love families of all types
- Possess a college degree (graduate education or certification in subjects related to the practice of ministry welcomed)
Compensation will be commensurate with skill and experience, with a salary in the range of $50,000-$60,000. Additionally,
- Individual healthcare, including medical and dental
- Four weeks paid vacation
- One week paid continuing education time
- Paid parental leave in the event of birth or adoption of a child
- Standard employer contributions to the Church Pension Fund
- Annual professional expense allowance and continuing education allowance
Candidates are asked to submit both:
- a cover letter describing your passion for children’s Christian formation and why you are interested in this particular position; and
- a resume (including references)
to the Associate Rector for Formation, The Rev. Rebecca Tankersley, at email@example.com or care of
Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration
14115 Hillcrest Road
Dallas, TX, 75254
Members of Transfiguration are welcome to apply.
 Note: All compensation and benefits are offering according to relevant IRS, Episcopal Church, Diocese of Dallas, and parish policies and procedures.