Lenten Journey is a simple yet deeply personal experience that focuses on the Seven Last Words of Christ on the cross. Meditation centers provide space for quiet reflection and guide participants through contemplative exercises. Join us for a one hour Lenten Retreat, at a time of your choosing, March 20 or 21 between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. in Roper Hall.
A Contemplative Experience
Think of Lenten Journey as a prayerful path to the cross in a sacred space. Through the use of meditation centers and self-paced devotions, participants reflect on Jesus’ words in different ways and with different media. In an hour or less, the experience can be a deeply spiritual, prayerful connection to Lent and to Jesus’ dying words.
In a quiet, contemplative environment, meditation centers provide space for prayer and reflection on each of Jesus’ seven last statements on the cross. Instructions and materials are provided at each center to guide participants through the devotions. There is no time limit; moving through the centers is self-paced. Space is also provided for journaling and prayer.
The Last Words
- Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:32-34
- Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.” Luke 23:39-43
- Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Luke 23:44-46
- And about three o’clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, “… My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” Matthew 27:45-46
- “Woman, here is your son. Here is your mother.” John 19:25-27
- “I am thirsty.” John 19:28-29
- “It is finished.” John 19:30
- “Mary!” John 20:11-18
Lenten Journey is a program developed by Spiritual Ministries Institute, Inc. © 2007