You are invited to join a pilgrimage to the Holy Land led by Fr. Casey Shobe happening May 16-29, 2017. The pilgrimage will consist of the “Palestine of Jesus” course through St. George’s College in Jerusalem, which is associated with St. George’s (Anglican) Cathedral. St. George’s hosts hundreds of pilgrims from around the world each year to visit the ancient sites of Scripture, walk in the footsteps of Jesus, nurture their spiritual imaginations, and explore the modern, complicated world of Israel and Palestine.
The 14-day “Palestine of Jesus” course introduces pilgrims to the “Fifth Gospel,” that is, the land, in order to nurture greater understanding and awareness of the places where the sacred acts described in Scripture occurred. A blend of daily lectures by scholars, clergy, and local guides provides historical and spiritual background of each place. The course also includes time to engage with the local, indigenous (Arab) Christian community, still very much present and active 2,000 years later, as well as meet Jews and Muslims, Israelis and Palestinians. This is an exploration not only of the ancient stones, but also the “living stones,” the people who inhabit the Holy Land today.
- Cost: $3360 + airfare and ground transportation to St. George’s (projections are $1400 per person for airfare and transport). This covers (double-occupancy) room and board, local travel, entry fees, and other daily costs. Single occupancy, when available, costs an additional $25/night.
- The course is based in Jerusalem, only blocks from the Old City (where the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Temple Mount, and Via Dolorosa are located), and ample time is reserved for guided and personal exploration of the city. Travel also includes four days in Galilee (based in Nazareth), visits to Bethlehem, Jericho, and the Dead Sea (Masada and Qumran).
- An additional (optional for each participant) 3-4 day trip to Petra in Jordan is available. Cost available by talking to Bill Edwards.
- A $300 non-refundable deposit (per person) is required by January 15, 2016 to hold your place. Tuition due in full two months before course begins.
- Those unable to register and pay the deposit by January 15, 2016 are still welcome to join the group based on remaining availability at St. George’s.
- You are encouraged to explore St. George’s website.
- Travel insurance will be required for each pilgrim, in order to cover a refund in case of unsafe travel conditions or any personal circumstance at the time of the pilgrimage.
Register by contacting Bill Edwards. Contact Fr. Casey with questions.