At Home Communion
Dear Transfiguration friends,
What a delight it was to share Eucharist with you last month on Pentecost! We have heard from so many of you who were blessed to receive the Sacrament again after our long fast.
We are pleased to share with you that we will repeat this home delivery of the Sacrament on the last Sundays of June (28), July (26), and August (30).
Just as we did on Pentecost, on each of these Sundays, we will post the video of our worship service, which you can view at or after 9:00 a.m. We will pause the service after the Lord’s Prayer and the Fraction, so a team of volunteers, wearing masks and gloves, can place communion into hundreds of small, clean pouches. A separate team of volunteers will pick up the communion packets and deliver them (without personal contact) to church members all over the Metroplex. On each of these days, we will resume our service at 5:00 p.m. via Zoom, and receive the Eucharist together.
We have chosen to repeat this form of Eucharistic worship for three reasons. First, we are a sacramental church, and receiving together on Pentecost was holy and life-giving! Second, given the recent rise of COVID infections in Dallas County, we are not yet able to safely resume in-person worship; there simply remains too much risk in gatherings of more than a few people. Third, we know that even when we resume in-person worship, many will not be able to join us owing to their high-risk status. So, for the time being, we will continue to practice our Eucharistic worship in this alternative way, being the church even when we can’t go to church.
If you would like to participate, we need you to notify us!
Even if you participated in the Pentecost distribution, you must register again, and new registrations will be required for each new month. This will help ensure we do not inadvertently bring the Sacrament to someone who may be out of town.
To register for the June distribution, you can use Realm (button below) or, if you can’t access your Realm profile, you may contact Lana Mederos at firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-233-1898 (ext. 223) by noon on Monday, June 22. Registration is the only way we can be sure to send communion to those who actually desire it and make arrangements for those who live in harder to reach locations (e.g. assisted living facilities, distant zip codes). You can also let us know if you would prefer to pick up your own packet at the church, though we actually prefer to carry out communion to people, rather than have individuals pick it up for themselves.
Also, I also want to remind everyone that even if you are unable to watch the service online in the morning, or use Zoom to participate at 5:00 p.m., we can still send communion to you, and you can pray along with us in spirit and receive the Sacrament along with the rest of the church. So, even those who struggle with technology are invited to participate.
I was inspired by the experience of worshipping with you on Pentecost, and I’m confident that in coming months the beautiful mystery of Christ’s presence in the Sacrament will once again feed us, renew us, and bind us together.
The Rev. R. Casey Shobe
Reminder of How It Works
- Notify us by the registration deadline that you want to receive communion. Register in Realm or by contacting Lana Mederos (email@example.com or 972-233-1898, ext 223). To receive in June, you must register by June 22.
- Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email from the church that includes details for logging in to Zoom at 5:00 p.m.
- Join us for virtual worship on the morning of the last Sunday of the month either on the Transfiguration website or Facebook page.
- Receive the communion packet, which will be delivered to your home sometime in the late morning or early afternoon (or pick it up yourself).
- Open the packet and place the consecrated Sacrament somewhere appropriate.
- At 5:00 p.m., use a link that will be emailed out in advance to join us for a live conclusion to service.
- Receive communion with the whole Transfiguration community simultaneously.